Frequently Asked Questions
WHAT TO LOOK OUT FOR WHEN PURCHASING AN LED SYSTEM/ FIXTURE?
Whether you purchase from Flexalite or any other company, there are few things you should look out for when purchasing an LED system or fixture:
- Payback period – Use our LED Savings Calculator to work out if its the right product for you.
- Warranty – make sure there is warranty on the product. Generally over 3 years.
- Brightness – Check the brightness levels and the beam angle. Check our energy efficiency chart in the Tech Guide.
- Purchase a fitting which produces a single light output, ie single LED source or Multi-Chip led with a diffuser. No one wants to see multiple shadowing effect as some LED fixtures have 3 or more exposed chips.
- Good Heat Sink – Make sure there is good heat sink incorporated. With the COB (Chip on Board) LED fixtures, which uses is a single chip, it may get really hot, hence it requires a rather large heat sink. With new LED technology, it has evolved to a Multi-Chip setup which does not generate as much heat as the COB fixtures, allowing for a lower heat sink profile.Generally, if you touch the fitting after a period of an hour or two, you will feel the heat, and if there is no heat coming out of it, then the heat sink is not doing its job. In which case the LEDs will most likely deteriorate in 6 months to a year.
- MR16 LED Lamps – We have looked far and wide for an MR 16 LED lamp which is comparable to a 50W halogen for brightness and fitting size, and although there are one or two companies producing something of similar output, a majority of these lamps do not. Be aware that some may have an equal brightness to a 50W halogen, but the beam angle may not be the same. So as soon as you go out of this beam angle, generally about 30° lightout will drop dramatically.
- LED brands – you may of heard of some of the big LED brand companies like Cree, Bridgelux, Philips, etc, but be aware that like diamonds, they have different colour bins. So yes, some companies my advertise they have a Cree chip inside, but it maybe from the lowest quality colour bin. Hence, you might find colour differences between your lamp fittings.
- Pay for what you get – If the price is too good to be true, then most likely something is wrong. These are the type of products that give LEDs a bad reputation in the industry.
ARE THE BRIGHTNESS OF LEDS COMPARABLE TO OTHER LIGHT SOURCES?
Many LED suppliers may claim their products are comparable to other light technologies, but in some cases they are not. Or if they are, the beam angle is quite narrow, which intensifies the light to achieve the comparable light output, but as you go outside the beam angle, it drops dramatically.
All of Flexalite’s LED products are tested to ensure brightness, heat dissipation and the beam angle are the same or greater than that of a comparable form of light fixture. If it doesn’t not meet these requirements, we will not offer these products to our valued customers. Samples purchases can be made and if its not to your requirements, we will unconditionally refund your money.
HOW LONG WILL LEDS LAST?
Like all light sources, LEDs will slowly degrade over time, which can be caused by heat generated within the housing and the drive current. Some suppliers my quote 100,000 hrs life, but beware that’s the life of the LED in a test laboratory at controlled conditions. As soon as you put a lens, and cover with a housing over an LED it drops the life dramatically due to the build-up of heat.
This heat must be removed from the lighting fixture or system to maximize performance and to avoid damage to the LEDs. Heat removal can be achieved through a design specific designed and engineered heat sinks that draw heat away from the LEDs and dissipate it into the air surrounding the fixture housing.
HOW CAN L JUSTIFY THE COST OF BUYING AN LED FIXTURE/SYSTEM?
For LED lighting solutions, the initial fixture costs may be higher than comparable incandescent and fluorescent lighting solutions. But this initial cost should also account for the cost of owning, operating, and maintaining a lighting system. With the longevity of LED lighting fixtures, it avoids the maintenance and materials costs which is required for multiple relampings of incandescent fixtures over its life. Furthermore. LEDs reduces power cost by up to 80% over conventional lighting systems, which gives a more attractive payback period.
Flexalite has for a long time resisted supplying to the domestic market, but due to the dramatic drop in pricing over the years, it has become more viable than ever.
Try out our ‘LED Savings Calculator’ and see when your payback date is expected.
WHAT DOES RGB MEAN?
RGB LED fixtures/systems consist of RED, GREEN and BLUE lights which allows an array of colours to be produced. With Flexalite’s range of controllers, it allows the user to select a varity of modes, from choosing a specific colour to apply different display modes, ie fading, flashing, cycling through different colours, etc
WHATS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN YOUR PRODUCTS AND OTHER LEDS IN THE MARKET?
All of Flexalite’s product under go rigorous testing to ensure quality of the fitting and lightout is up to our standards. Generally if its not comparable to any other conventional light source in lightout, then we will not offer it to our customers. We don’t see a point for our customers to pay a higher price for something that’s lesser in quality and light output.
Flexalite’s warranty period ranges from 3-5 years, which we will adhere to any claims unconditionally if any of our products do not function as required during this period.